Federal Way, WA
Federal Way, WA boy smiling with the new braces he received from his dentist.Braces improve the appearance of your teeth and also increase the health of your teeth by correcting your bite, reducing overcrowding, and straightening your teeth. Our dentists recognize the importance of aligning your teeth, not only for aesthetics but the health of your smile. Our team at Tran Family Dentistry & Associates can help you achieve a smile to be proud of.
The list of potential problems is extensive. Any of them can lead to bigger issues for the patient, including the painful problem of TMJ dysfunction. Some of the commonly seen bite problems include:
- Overcrowding: Teeth that overlap or squeeze teeth forward can have damaging long-term effects of your bite.
- Spacing: From overcrowding to gaps between teeth, spacing can both impact the look of your smile and how you chew food.
- Overjet: Teeth that are defined as overjet are teeth that have a horizontal protrusion of the upper teeth in front of the patient's lower teeth.
- Openbite: An open bite is a condition of the upper teeth and lower teeth not closing together, leaving a gap.
- Overbite: An overbite is when the patient has a vertical overlapping of their upper teeth over their lower teeth.
- Underbite: An underbite is when the patient's lower front teeth protrude out in front of the patient's upper front teeth.
- Crossbite: A crossbite is when the patient's top teeth fit inside of their bottom teeth.
- Impacted Teeth: Teeth that fail to come in can be helped. We may be able to help the tooth come into position.
- Extra Teeth or Double Teeth: Occasionally a patient may have two of a specific tooth in the same position. Removing one of them will help the neighboring teeth from overcrowding.
Braces for Children
Many patients feel that they need to wait until their adult teeth have come in before seeking orthodontic work, this is not true. The American Dental Association recommends that children have their first orthodontic evaluation at age 7, while the patient still has their baby teeth with some adult teeth coming in. This allows our dentists to view the adult teeth before they erupt, or as they come into position.
There are many problems that can occur as your child's permanent teeth begin to erupt. Common issues that we see in our patient’s teeth are:
- Impacted teeth.
- Double teeth.
- Failure to erupt.
- Crooked teeth.
- Spacing issues.
Adjustments made early can significantly impact how your child's teeth come in. We recommend that all of our patients come in for a regular cleaning and examination at least twice a year so that we can catch issues like these before they become a problem.
Braces and Aligners
Several incredible advancements in the treatment of malocclusion have been made over the years. Depending on your needs, your age, and what works best for you, we can make recommendations that will fit your lifestyle.
There are now a few different kinds of braces, including traditional metal bracket braces and clear, ceramic bracket braces. Clear aligners, like Clear Correct, do not use metal at all, but are a series of clear, plastic aligners that we use to straighten your teeth without the hassle of brackets. Clear Correct has a few impressive advantages over metal braces because they are invisible over your smile and can be removed while you eat and clean your teeth.
If you are considering either metal braces or aligners, you have multiple options available to you. After your consultation, we would be happy to make a recommendation that is customized to your needs and lifestyle.
Give us a call at (206) 212-0394 to schedule your appointment today.